Volunteer for the
Festival in Banff
- Looking for a way to be involved in a truly awesome event?
- Interested in mountain topics?
- Keen, reliable, and willing to lend a hand?
- Interested in meeting new people with similar interests?
- Wanting to learn new skills in an inspiring setting?
If so, we would love to hear from you!
Volunteers are vital to the success of the Banff Mountain Film and Book Festival. During the nine-day Festival, our volunteers donate more than 2,500 hours of their time.
In addition to the great people you will meet and work with, the skills and experience you can add to your resume, and the fun you will have by being a Banff Mountain Film and Book Festival Volunteer, you will also receive the following Rewards:
|Rewards||8 hours||Each additional 4 hours|
|Invitation to Wrap Party||YES||YES|
Festival vouchers provide access to most Festival events and even Festival publications! Click here to view a sample of the 2014 voucher.
Volunteer vouchers are distributed in person at the Volunteer Orientation or during the Festival week. Event tickets are sold on a first-come, first-served basis and can sell out before volunteer vouchers are distributed. Volunteers therefore cannot be guaranteed tickets to all events. Please call the Box Office (403.762.6301) to purchase tickets to high-demand events.
Invitation to Wrap Party
The Festival Wrap Party takes place on the closing night of the Banff Mountain Film and Book Festival. This legendary invitation-only event brings our special guests, sponsors and volunteers together for an evening of entertainment. Food and drink are provided. You'll be talking about what fun you had for years - we guarantee it! (The Volunteer Coordinator will announce more details closer to the event)
Please review the 2015 Volunteer Roles below. You will be asked to identify your top three choices on the application form. Please note the qualifications and any physical demands that are required in each role and ensure that you are comfortable with these requests before applying.
Training/Orientation: all new volunteers are required to attend a mandatory Volunteer Orientation which provides an overview of the Festival and The Banff Centre. (Volunteer Orientation date TBA)
Time commitment: New volunteers must commit a minimum of 8 hours during festival week (4 hours for returning volunteers).
- Info Booth Attendant
- Info Booth Roamer
- Theatre Host
- Volunteer Coordinator's Assistant
- Guest Registration Attendant
- On Demand Room Attendant
- Reading Room Attendant
- Marketing/Communications Assistant
- Green Team Assistant
- Art & Craft Sale/Marketplace/Sponsor Booth Assistants
- Pre-event Assistant
- Volunteer Room Attendant
- Technical Assistant
- Set-up/Tear-down Assistant
INFO BOOTH ATTENDANT
- Volunteer Role: Assist Festival attendees by answering questions, giving directions, handing out brochures, etc.
- Qualifications: General knowledge of the Festival and Banff Centre facilities, customer service skills.
INFO BOOTH ROAMER
- Volunteer Role: Roam throughout campus during Festival assisting Festival attendees by answering questions, giving directions, handing out brochures, etc.
- Qualifications: General knowledge of the Festival and Banff Centre facilities, customer service skills. Able to stand/walk for extended periods.
- Volunteer Role: Meet and greet audience members, answer questions and assist Ushers in guiding patrons to their seats Assist the Ushers by watching for food/drink /recording devices in the venue.
- Qualifications: General knowledge of the Festival and Banff Centre facilities, customer service skills, requires standing/walking throughout shift
VOLUNTEER COORDINATOR'S ASSISTANT
- Volunteer Role: Assist Festival staff with organization and support of 100+ volunteers including opening and closing volunteer room, preparing volunteer packages, filling-in last-minute shifts, running errands, assisting with Volunteer Orientation and more. If you have ever wondered how a festival this big comes together, this is the volunteer opportunity for you!
- Qualifications: General knowledge of the Festival and Banff Centre facilities, organizational skills, customer service skills, experience with office equipment and Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel) an asset. Willing to volunteer 40+ hours.
GUEST REGISTRATION ASSISTANT
- Volunteer Role: Assist in operation of guest registration desk, greet speakers, filmmakers, and media as they arrive, distribute guest kits, answer questions, provide directions
- Qualifications: General knowledge of the Festival and Banff Centre facilities, exemplary customer service skills, Knowledge of Microsoft Office tools an asset
ON DEMAND ROOM ATTENDANT
- Volunteer Role: Monitor access to On-Demand Screening Room to those individuals with passes, assist guests in screening films and operating equipment
- Qualifications: General knowledge of technical equipment (DVD player, headphones, monitor), customer service skills.
READING ROOM ATTENDANT
- Volunteer Role: Assist in the operation of Festival Reading Room, assist customers in finding books, monitor books to ensure they do not leave room
- Qualifications: General knowledge of the Festival and Banff Centre facilities, customer service skills, interest in mountain literature
- Volunteer Role: Aid in distribution of programs and posters, assist with audience surveys, augment social media outreach efforts
- Qualifications: General knowledge of the Festival and Banff Centre facilities, customer service skills, social media/survey experience an asset. Some walking/lifting.
GREEN TEAM ASSISTANT
- Volunteer Role: be part of the amazing team that diverts over 90% of the Festival's waste to recycling, assist in educating audiences about green efforts, assist in sorting and delivering recyclables.
- Qualifications: passionate/knowledgeable about the environment, customer service skills. Some walking/lifting required.
ART & CRAFT SALE/MARKETPLACE/ SPONSOR BOOTH ASSISTANTS
- Volunteer Role: Assist Festival vendors or sponsors with booth set-up as required, answer questions, provide directions, may also distribute surveys or assist with Green Team efforts
- Qualifications: General knowledge of the Festival and Banff Centre facilities, customer service skills, may require some lifting
- Volunteer Role: Assist with assembling guest kits and nametags, room-set-up, binder preparation, signage and package delivery in the days prior to the Festival.
- Qualifications: General knowledge of the Festival and Banff Centre facilities, organizational skills. Some walking/lifting required.
VOLUNTEER ROOM ATTENDANT
- Volunteer Role: check-in volunteers for each shift, assist with questions and directions, maintain volunteer room amenities, organize Volunteer Draw
- Qualifications: a friendly smile for all volunteers, general knowledge of the Festival and Banff Centre facilities, customer service skills
- Volunteer Role: Assist the Festival Producer, Production Coordinator, and Banff Centre Technical Services in the delivery of Festival screenings and events. Responsibilities vary dependent on volunteer skills but focus on set-up and tear-down of technical equipment. Please note that opportunities to volunteer in this role are limited.
- Qualifications: General knowledge of The Banff Centre and our facilities and/or experience in film, audio, and/or media production. It is a requirement of this position that volunteers be capable of moderate lifting and that they have an awareness of safe work practices regarding physical tasks.
- Volunteer Role: Volunteers assist Banff Centre staff, sponsors, and exhibitors in the set-up and tear-down of booths, exhibits, and Festival spaces as required.
- Qualifications: It is a requirement of this position that volunteers be capable of moderate lifting and that they have an awareness of safe work practices regarding physical tasks. General knowledge of The Banff Centre and our facilities preferred.
Register to Volunteer at the 2015 Festival
Sign-up for one of the best volunteer gigs in Canada! Volunteers at the Banff Mountain Film and Book Festival get up close and personal with adventurers, filmmakers, authors, climbers, kayakers, bikers, and mountain legends.
Meet great people, learn new skills, feed your resume, and BE INSPIRED by the energy and excitement that this world-renowned event generates.
We will contact all applicants in early September to confirm volunteer assignments.
Our Commitment to Volunteers
- provide adequate supervision, training, and orientation
- provide meaningful work with similar space, equipment, and working conditions given to paid staff doing similar work
- maintain records of volunteer hours, performance, and projects and respect the confidentiality of these records
- provide letters of recommendation upon request
- accord the volunteer respect and responsibility
We believe that:
- volunteers are an integral part of The Banff Centre and are critical in the production of a successful event
- every hour contributed by a volunteer is a valuable gift that deserves to be managed, recognized, and honored
- all volunteers have the right to understand the big picture of the Banff Mountain Film and Book Festival and to see where their efforts fit into the overall structure and mission
- it is the primary responsibility of the volunteer coordinator to place the volunteer in a position that fits both the interest and giftedness of the volunteer and the needs of the Banff Mountain Film and Book Festival.
Commitment by Volunteers
- represent and support The Banff Centre and the Festival in a positive way;
- attend orientation and training required for assigned work;
- carry out agreed tasks to the best of their ability and consistent with instructions provided, and in accordance with any procedures as set out by the Festival;
- visibly wear a Volunteer ID name tag and T-shirt at all times while on duty as a volunteer;
- meet agreed commitments with respect to attendance and time, providing inability to attend where possible;
- understand the function of paid staff, maintain a smooth working relationship, and stay within the bounds of volunteer responsibility;
- work constructively and cooperatively with staff, Festival guests and volunteers;
- ask for support if required;
- maintain the dignity of The Banff Centre and its integrity with the public, and honor confidential information;
- adhere scrupulously to any relevant security procedures;
- be receptive to performance appraisal, advice and feedback;
- provide any relevant information reasonably required by the Festival and allow this to be used for statistical or reporting purposes;
- contribute to the maintenance of a safe and secure workplace; and
- provide adequate notice of resignation and availability when possible
Looking for more info? View the 2014 Volunteer Manual