Banff Mountain Photo Essay Competition
The winner of the 2016 Banff Mountain Photo Essay Competition is:
Prasenjeet Yadav and his essay "Sky Islands"
The competition's goal is to showcase the best in mountain-themed photo essays – to recognize the best stories told through a series of still images. We invited photographers to submit photo essays to illustrate their mountain related stories whether culture, adventure, wildlife, sport, environment, or natural history. The jury was seeking a sequence of images that conveys a compelling story or message – with each image strong enough to stand on its own while conveying a greater narrative when viewed in the photographer’s desired sequence.
Entry Guidelines (For reference only)
- Each essay submitted is to consist of two (2) to five (5) images.
- We suggest photographers include only those images required to tell their story - unnecessary images may reduce the overall impact of submissions.
- ENTRY DEADLINE: Thursday, May 12, 2016.
- $3000 CDN will be awarded to the winning essay. Read the competition procedures for full details.
- All entries will be viewed by a selection committee chaired by the Programming Director.
- Finalists chosen by this committee will be viewed by an international jury.
- The top contenders will be presented to the public who will vote for the winner in July 2016.
- Winner will be announced July 13, 2016
- The entry with the most votes will win the $3000 CDN prize.
2016 Photography Essay Winner
The sky islands of the Western Ghats in south India are unique both in its geography and biodiversity. Photographer Prasenjeet Yadav, along with bird ecologist Dr. Robin Vijayan, explored this landscape to understand the role these mountains play in the formation of new species, with a focus on the Shortwing - a small bird endemic to the sky islands.