Financial Assistance/Scholarship and Tax Information

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

General Information

Donations from generous individuals and corporations are combined with Banff Centre revenues to provide financial assistance for qualified participants. Financial assistance is only applicable to the residency fee, on-campus accommodation, and meals. Assistance is not awarded in cash; the amount will be credited to your account. If you are successful in obtaining support from other funding agencies, Banff Centre reserves the right to review and adjust its assistance.

Financial assistance and stipend awards are considered taxable income for Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) purposes and you will receive a T4A form. There are no deductions for income tax, Canadian Pension Plan (CPP), or Employment Insurance (EI) taken from stipend/living allowance payments, and recipients are not eligible for EI following participation in a practicum program. It is your responsibility to ensure that your tax return conforms to the tax laws in your permanent place of residence. Banff Centre assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of your tax return beyond providing you with a T4A form as a result of your participation in our programming. Leighton Artists Studio discounts are not considered taxable income.

A T2202A "Tuition Education Credit Certificate" is issued if the tuition fee paid is in excess of $100, or if the program is at least three consecutive weeks in length. 

Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity issues the following tax forms and these are mailed at the end of February:

  • T2202A (Tuition, Education, and Textbook Amounts Certificate) is issued as a credit for the tuition paid by a program participant and the related full-time student status eligible for an education tax credit.
  • T4A (Statement of Pension, Retirement, Annuity, and Other Income) is issued for financial assistance and awards including stipends or living allowances awarded to program participants.

Tax forms are issued for the previous tax year, which runs January through December.

If you have a change of address please contact the Office of the Registrar 1-800-565-9989 (within North America) or 1-403-762-6180 or email

Who to Contact with a Tax Question

If you have tax questions or questions about the use of tax forms, please contact your tax advisor or CRA directly.

If you have not received your Tax Forms, please contact the Office of the Registrar 1-800-565-9989 (within North America) or 1-403-762-6180 or email


International Participants and Filing Taxes

Please check the CRA website to find the latest information for international participants.


The information provided herein should not be construed as complete and comprehensive. Banff Centre suggests that all participants seek appropriate independent advice to ensure they have complete and accurate information as it may pertain to their personal tax status and, as appropriate, their submission(s).

Contact Us

For questions about financial assistance for Banff Centre programs, please contact:



Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity
107 Tunnel Mountain Drive
Box 1020
Banff, Alberta
T1L 1H5