Banff Mountain Photo Essay Competition
By clicking the subscribe button, you agree to receive newsletters and informational emails monthly or weekly from Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Announcing the winner of the 2017 Photo Essay Competition!
Competition closed Monday, May 1, 2017.The competition's goal is to showcase the best in mountain-themed photo essays – to recognize the best stories told through a series of still images. We invite photographers to submit photo essays to illustrate their mountain related stories whether culture, adventure, wildlife, sport, environment, or natural history. The jury is seeking a sequence of images that conveys a compelling story or message – with each image strong enough to stand on its own while conveying a greater narrative when viewed in the photographer’s desired sequence.
2017 Photography Essay Winner
Geladas are the last grass-eating monkeys. Isolated in the mountains of Ethiopia, these bleeding-heart monkeys have a bizarre diet, social system, and morphology that are reflections of their alpine habitat. This ecosystem braces the Great Rift Valley and brims with uniquely adapted plants and animals, yet it is rapidly disappearing.
2017 Winning Photos
2017 Photography Essay Special Jury Mention
Skiing in Iceland is both an incredible experience and one of incredible frustration. The rewards far outweigh the days spent waiting on the weather and suffering up long approaches. These photographs were taken during a month of exploring the incredible island on skis.
Entry Guidelines (For reference only)
- Each essay submitted is to consist of three (3) to five (5) images.
- We suggest photographers include only those images required to tell their story - unnecessary images may reduce the overall impact of submissions.
- ENTRY DEADLINE: Monday, May 1, 2017.
- $2000 Grand prize and a trip to Banff (Trip includes airfare, 3 nights' accommodation and select Festival tickets for the 2017 Banff Mountain Film and Book Festival.)
- All entries will be viewed by a selection committee chaired by the Programming Director.
- Finalists chosen by this committee will be viewed by an international jury.
- The Grand Prize winner will be announced in June, 2017.