The Audio Recording Engineer Practicum is intended as a continuing education experience for emerging recording engineers with mature artistic insight and advanced practical skills, including significant professional experience or a high level of professional training. Practicum participants learn about equipment, software, and recording techniques while working on a wide variety of projects.
What does the program offer?
Engineers from around the world participate in our program to benefit from:
- Mentoring by staff producer, engineers, and technologists
- Classes with audio staff and internationally-renowned guest faculty
- Recording live concerts each week in classical, jazz, and contemporary genres
- Recording and producing professional recordings for the international musicians participating in music residency programs
- Working with staff producers and engineers in conjunction with the video production team, recording and mixing lectures and presentations from visiting artists for online consumption
- Supporting audio post-production and interactive media programs
- Interacting with other international audio engineers as well as professional musicians and artists in other disciplines
- Access to professionally-equipped studio spaces
Who should apply?
Applicants should have a combination of formal training and/or professional experience or aptitude in audio engineering. Working knowledge of Pyramix, ProTools, and File Maker Pro is desirable. Applicants will also have a practical understanding of file creation and management.
Applicants will be able to manage resources and produce to schedule, as well as multitask effectively with strong time management and diplomacy skills.
You are eligible for Banff Centre housing (based on availability). You are responsible for your own room and board costs. Current rates for Banff Centre accommodation are $8.06 / day (shared) or $16.12 / day (single) and will be deducted from your living allowance.
You will receive a living allowance of $427 per week.
Note that financial assistance and stipend awards are considered taxable income for Revenue Canada.
Your program fee includes free access to the swimming pool, climbing gym, and fitness suite as well as discounted rates for classes at the Sally Borden Fitness and Recreation Centre.
Fees & Financial Assistance
Application fee: $65
*The weekly program fee is covered 100% by financial assistance from Banff Centre.
You will also receive a weekly living allowance while part of the program (see What's Included for more information).
How to Apply
Participants are selected by impartial adjudicators on the basis of their submitted material. In addition to artistic merit, consideration will be given to the likelihood that the artist's work will benefit from the program.
Applicants will be notified of their status as soon as adjudication is complete.
International participants are restricted to a six-month residency at Banff Centre. This is due to changes made by the Government of Canada to international student visa regulations, effective June 1, 2014.
All programs, faculty, dates, fees, and offers of financial assistance are subject to change. Program fee is subject to applicable taxes. Non-refundable fees and deposits will be retained upon cancellation. Any other fees are refunded at the discretion of the Banff Centre. The application deadline is 11:59 p.m. Mountain Standard Time.