Introductory Inherent Right to Indigenous Governance - Online Spring 2022
Introductory Inherent Right to Indigenous Governance will illuminate foundational principles of effective and responsible governance. Participants will discover historical and contemporary Indigenous governance models, while reflecting on their own gifts, responsibilities, and entitlements rooted in law and policy. Through this, participants can imagine and identify concrete actions they can implement in their current positions.
Please note, this introductory program does not count as credit towards the Certificate of Indigenous Leadership, Governance, and Management Excellence.
What does the program offer?
- Examples of traditional forms and processes of governance
- Examples of traditional political philosophies and world-view
- Transition from traditional governance to legislated governance
- Reconciling traditional and contemporary forms of governance
- A look at sovereignty and inherent right to self-determination
- Self-government case study
Who should apply?
- Indigenous leaders, administrators, and senior management
- First Nations, Inuit, and Métis regional or tribal executive directors
- Consultants and legal counsel who work closely with Indigenous nations and organizations
- Provincial and federal policy analysts and negotiators
This program prioritizes Indigenous learners, and those working for Indigenous communities and organizations.
*Programs are filled on a first come, first served basis. Please register early to secure a confirmation of your spot.
To maximize learning for this program students are required to dedicate approximately 16 hours per week to this program. This includes:
- Watching pre-recorded lectures (approximately 1.5 hrs)
- Participating in four live Zoom sessions - Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, each day from 10:00am - 1:00pm MST (3 hrs x 4 days = 12 hours for the week)
- Complete homework outside of class time (approximately 1hr/day)
Use of Zoom for live sessions.
Electronic learning journal for course materials
Use of Dropbox for sharing materials.
Fees & Financial Assistance
Up to a maximum of 30 participants per program.
Financial assistance is available for Indigenous peoples or non-Indigenous peoples working for Indigenous organizations only.
To be considered for financial assistance, please ensure that you select "Yes" to 'I would like to apply for financial assistance' during registration, and log into your Student Portal to complete your funding application form within 48 hours of submitting your initial registration. We strongly recommend timely submission of the funding form, to be considered. Note that we reserve the right to cancel registrants who select 'No' to financial assistance if payment and confirmation of attendance is not received within 7 days of registration.
Banff Centre will issue official tax receipts for eligible tuition fees and all financial assistance and awards as required by the Income Tax Act. You will receive a T2202 (Tuition and Enrolment Certificate) for eligible tuition fees paid and a T4A (Statement of Pension, Retirement, Annuity, and Other Income) for applicable financial assistance and awards.
How to Apply
If you have requested financial assistance,please ensure that you log in to your Student Portal within 48 hours of registration, to submit your funding request form.
If you do not require financial assistance, please ensure that you log in to your Student Portal and complete confirmation of attendance and full payment as soon as possible, but no later than 7 days from completing step 1.
Note that non-completion within the timelines stated may result in your place being offered to the waitlist.
All programs, faculty, dates, fees, and offers of financial assistance are subject to change. Program fee is subject to applicable taxes. Banff Centre reserves the right to cancel a program up to seven days prior to program start date if there is insufficient enrolment, and in this case all fees will be refunded. Please note that Banff Centre is not liable for any personal expenses incurred.