Online programs coming soon.
We will be offering 14 programs online from September to December 2020, featuring two programs per discipline in Literary Arts, Visual Arts, Music, Performing Arts, Indigenous Arts, and Indigenous Leadership. Details about these programs, including information about applications and admissions, will be available soon.
If you would like to be among the first to know about or new programs, please subscribe to our newsletter. In the meantime, you can browse a sampling of previous programs to learn more about our offerings.
Banff Centre’s facilities and spaces remain closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic; we look forward to reopening as soon as it is safe to do so. If you have any questions about specific programs, please contact email@example.com.
Re(Claim) is an interdisciplinary music program in which Indigenous artists ‘reclaim’ the era of silent films, moving and still images made about Indigenous peoples. Through live performance, music creation, composition, song, spoken word, dance, film and photography, this new program subverts the gaze behind the camera and brings a fresh voice to an era of silence.
Short compositions/creations will be created for silent film and will be performed at Banff Centre at the conclusion of the residency.
What does the program offer?
Participants will work with faculty and peers in a highly collaborative setting to:
- Create music and score for film and hybrid forms either through notation and/or through improvisation, specifically silent films made about Indigenous peoples;
- Learn more about the era of silent films;
- Develop improvisational skills as artists;
- Build a strong foundation of collaboration;
- Explore integrated and organic approaches to collaboration and composition in-studio and for live performance.
Who should apply?
- We welcome Canadian and international Indigenous artists from diverse music genres and performance backgrounds to apply.
- Applicants should have a strong background in music creation, composition, and/or performance.
- Applicants should be open to a highly collaborative process that integrates interdisciplinary and experimental approaches to creation and scoring for film and/or new media.
Enrollment is limited to 8-10 participants.
Your program fee includes a single bedroom on the Banff Centre campus for the duration of your program.
Get connected with other artists on campus and focus on your projects in a creative environment while we take care of the day-to-day essentials.
Using a credit-based system to dine on campus, our flexible meal plans allow you to select meals according to your own needs during your stay.
The Regular Flex meal plan includes $29 credit per day, equivalent to lunch and dinner in Vistas Dining Room.
This program offers opportunities to showcase your work [in one of our performance venues].
Access a wide range of publications, books, music and films in the Paul D. Fleck Library and Archives, open 6 days a week.
Enjoy special artist rates for ticketed performances or complimentary access to events.
Fees & Financial Assistance
Application fee: $35
*Significant financial assistance is available for this program.
Artists accepted to the program will receive 100% scholarship to cover the program fee including tuition, single room, and meal plan at The Banff Centre. Travel to/from The Banff Centre will be the responsibility of each artist.
How to Apply
Participants are selected by impartial adjudicators on the basis of their submitted material. In addition to artistic merit, consideration will be given to an applicant’s work ethic, professionalism, and ability to contribute to the program.
Applicants will be notified of their status as soon as adjudication is complete.
- Applicants must be of Indigenous descent and 18 years of age or older.
- International and Canadian Indigenous artists are welcome to apply.
- Applicants must have at least three years' experience in their respective artistic fields.
All programs, faculty, dates, fees, and offers of financial assistance are subject to change. Program fee subject to applicable taxes. Non-refundable fees and deposits will be retained upon cancellation. Any other fees are refunded at the discretion of the Banff Centre. Fees are in Canadian dollars unless stated otherwise.
Contact the Registrar
For questions on preparing your application, please contact the Office of the Registrar:
EmailRegistrar_IndigenousArts@banffcentre.caToll Free Number (Canada + USA)1.800.565.9989Phone403.762.6180