Story Studio is a new program presented by the Alberta Media Production Industries Association (AMPIA) and Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity, in partnership with the Government of Alberta and Alberta Film. Born out of Story Summit, this two-and-a-half-day program addresses new approaches to storytelling, innovating with technology, and developing sustainable, creative production and business models for media content.
Participants will have the opportunity to connect with experts on the forefront of digital media and learn alongside peers in the industry to strengthen tools and knowledge to advance their careers – all in Banff Centre’s unrivalled mountain setting.
What does the program offer?
This program offers an immersive experience in learning and inspiration. Participants will have access to keynote presentations, panel discussions, hands-on workshops, tabletop discussions and master classes in pitching, directing, aspects of camera and light, post-production, production design, and acting.
Participants will also have the opportunity to learn from and engage directly with industry experts from a wide variety of disciplines within digital media arts. Sessions will be led by AMPIA members in collaboration with industry experts and Banff Centre faculty.
Who should apply?
Post-secondary students and entry-level producers, writers, actors, and directors are encouraged to register. Mid-level and senior media professionals looking to gain experience working with new techniques and new technologies are also encouraged to attend.
Day 1 - Friday, March 8, 2019
- Welcome! Orientation, Intros, and Itinerary
- Keynote CMF Future Trends
- Keynote Rachel Talalay
- Opening Reception
Day 2 - Saturday, March 9, 2019
- Morning Breakout Sessions:
- Storytelling: Camera and Light
- The Producer (Talk with Avi, Indie Film)
- The Product (Talk with Avi, Indie Film)
- Future of doc (CMF)
- Fast Horse (Alex Lazarowich)
- Doc Distribution Nothern Banner
- Afternoon Breakout Sessions:
- Directing Demo
- The Money (Indie Film)
- Script to Budget with Linda Ambury
- The Promotion (Indie Film)
- Doc Speaker Storytelling
- Doc Sales/Hustle (Adam Scorgie)
- NFB and Storytelling
- Closing Panel: Bell Media Drama TV and Feature Film
Day 3 - Sunday, March 10, 2019
- Pitch Sessions (scheduled for filmmakers) with Raven Banner, Indiecan, Distriber, NFB
- Morning Breakout Sessions:
- Building a Blocking and Lighting Plan
- Distribution Raven/Northern Banner
- Lawyering it Up: Working with Entertainment Law
- Documentary Panel Discussion
- Demo: Documentary and Technology
- Cultural Diversity and Creative Storytelling
- Distribber Working with Netflix and your Distribution
- Closing Panel: Failing Forward (talking about overcoming failure)
- Closing Reception
When applying, choose between staying in a single or a shared bedroom on the Banff Centre campus for the duration of your program.
Get connected with other artists on campus and focus on your projects in a creative environment while we take care of the day-to-day essentials.
Using a credit-based system to dine on campus, our flexible meal plans allow you to select meals according to your own needs during your stay.
The Full Flex meal plan includes $40 credit per day, equivalent to breakfast, lunch, and dinner in Vistas Dining Room.
This program offers opportunities to showcase your work-in-progress in one of our performance venues.
Access a wide range of publications, books, music, and films in the Paul D. Fleck Library and Archives, open six days a week.
Enjoy special artist rates for ticketed performances or complimentary access to events.
Fees & Financial Assistance
Registration fee: $35 (not included in prices above).
Students and AMPIA members must provide proof of membership in registration process to receive discounted prices. Customization on number of room nights may be possible upon availability and request.
How to Apply
All programs, faculty, dates, fees, and offers of financial assistance are subject to change. Program fee is subject to applicable taxes. Non-refundable fees and deposits will be retained upon cancellation. Any other fees are refunded at the discretion of the Banff Centre. The application deadline is 11:59 p.m. Mountain Standard Time.