Signature Image Competition
The 2016 Signature Image Winner has been announced! We thank all photographers for your entries.
The annual signature image is used on our marketing materials which includes posters (both in Banff and in approximately 40 countries on the World Tour), postcards, banners, website (Festival website as well as World Tour host sites), 40,000 Festival brochures, 32,000 Festival programs, and 80,000 World Tour Magazines. We offered an honorarium of $1,000 (CAD) for the winning image. The photographer also receives far-reaching exposure of their work, and the winning image will be featured prominently on our website and during an exhibition at the 2016 Festival, along with the winner's biography.
The 41st annual Banff Mountain Film and Book Festival was represented by Thomas Senf's image of professional alpinist Ines Papert.This action shot was captured by Senf on a climbing expedition to Senja Island, Norway.
Stay tuned for details of the 2017 competition.
How to Enter
The competition is now closed. Stay tuned for details of the 2017 competition. The information below is for reference only.
Our deadline is Tuesday, February 23, 2016. Please first read through the image elements and technical requirements below, then submit the following:
- A completed form with your contact information.
- Your image(s) (no more than 4 images), or
- A link to a photo gallery/lightbox that you've prepared specifically for the Banff Mountain Film and Book Festival.
Theme: The signature image reflects our mountain-themed Festival.
Concept: We look for an image that evokes passion and energy, has a dynamic and enticing landscape and/or features a mountain activity.
Orientation: The image must work well both vertically and horizontally. Most of our marketing materials are vertical (posters, banners, postcards, ads, etc.), but for web and video production, a horizontal orientation is preferred. Many of our winners have been horizontal originals that crop well vertically for marketing materials.
Clean: We incorporate the placement of numerous sponsor logos, so we are looking for images where these can be easily incorporated.
Exposure: We want an image that hasn’t already appeared in a national ad campaign or been featured in magazines.
Free of commercial elements: We want an image without prominent commercial elements such as clearly visible logos.
- JPG files are preferred, 2MB max per image. (The winner will be asked to provide a high-resolution RAW or TIFF file - Vertical format original: minimum height 17"h (or larger) at 300 dpi; Horizontal format original: minimum height 17"h (or larger) at 300 dpi)
- Please provide a maximum of 4 images. Send us your best choices!
- We also welcome lightbox/gallery web links as long as they are created specifically for this competition – and ideally we will need to download the images for the selection process.