Skip to main content

Travelling to Banff Centre from abroad? Make sure your paperwork is in order before you start your trip. You may require a Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa), Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), or a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) to enter Canada. Please see the related sections below to determine if one or more of these programs applies to you. Do not misrepresent yourself when entering Canada.

Photo by Chris Amat.

Coming to Banff Centre to Study

Your status will be as a visitor. Indicate to the border official that you are entering as a visitor, per the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) immigration clause for Short-term courses [R188(1)(c)]. Be prepared to show your TRV/TRP (if applicable), your acceptance letter, and your learning agreement (if applicable).

Short-term courses [R188(1)(c)]

Foreign nationals may enter Canada or remain in Canada without a study permit to attend a course or program of study of six months duration or less [R188(1)(c)]. This exemption helps to facilitate access to short-term courses, regardless of their subject matter. The course or program of study may be part-time or full-time and should be completed within the period (i.e., up to six months) authorized upon entry.


*Please note that Banff Centre is a non-designated learning institution. 

Coming to Banff Centre to Work as Faculty

When you receive your contract package from Banff Centre, please sign and return your documents quickly so that we can prepare your immigration package in a timely manner.

Indicate to the border official that you are entering in order to work at Banff Centre. Be prepared to show your TRV/TRP (if applicable). Also be prepared to show the immigration package that you received from Banff Centre. This package contains:

  • A signed copy of your contract
  • A letter explaining your immigration status to the border officials

If you are here for more than five days, you will also receive:

  • An Employer Compliance Fee receipt that Banff Centre pays on your behalf

You may also be asked to pay a $155 work permit fee, which will be reimbursed by Banff Centre.

Information on Visitor Visas (TRV)

Visitors to Canada from certain countries will require a Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa TRV). 

If you require a visitor visa it is your responsibility to apply for the visitor visa through your nearest Visa Office. Processing times are often lengthy; therefore we encourage you to apply as soon as possible. A current list of countries whose citizens require a visitor visa can be found here.

Applying for a visitor visa can be done online or on paper. If you need help, you can contact your nearest visa application centre (VAC).

As part of the application process for a visitor visa you may be required to give biometrics. A list of countries and territories requiring biometrics can be found here, along with helpful instructions on the process and fees involved.


Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Canada has introduced a new entry requirement, known as an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), for visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to Canada (i.e. it does not apply if you arrive over a land border). This regulation became mandatory on March 15, 2016. Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid visa. Click here to find out if this affects you.

Applying for an eTA is a simple online process that takes just a few minutes. You will need your passport, a credit card, and an email address. It costs $7 CAD to get an eTA and it will be valid for up to five years.

Information on Temporary Resident Permits (TRP)

Certain activities and conditions of your past may affect your ability to come to Canada. Please refer to Temporary Resident Permits for more information about these conditions, and whether or not they may make you inadmissible to Canada. Reasons for inadmissibility can be found here.


This information is meant as a general guide only. All participants and faculty are responsible for their own immigration requirements to enter Canada and attend Banff Centre. 

Banff Centre is not responsible for the outcome of any immigration matters.

Contact Us

For questions about visas, work, and immigration, please contact:



Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity
107 Tunnel Mountain Drive
Box 1020
Banff, Alberta
T1L 1H5