Banff Centre’s Environmental Management System guides the future development of the Centre giving consideration to our ecological footprint, the emission of greenhouse gases, and overall environmental impact. The Centre understands our choices influence and impact our staff, participants, and guests, as well as the greater environment, beyond the boundaries of Banff National Park. The Centre strives for continual improvements in our environmental management results, and openly monitors and communicates our successes through well-recognized rating programs.
Creating Environmental Benefits
The Phase one revitalization project completed in 2011 had “no net negative” environmental impacts rather significant environmental benefits, including:
- Enhancing wildlife movement.
- Increasing montane landscaping.
- Implementing better storm water management.
- Reducing the use of irrigation, reducing light pollution, and improving energy efficiency.
Green Key Rating
Banff Centre has been awarded a certification score of 4 Green Keys out of 5 from the Hotel Association of Canada, as well as “4 Green Key meetings” for its “national industry leadership and commitment to protecting the environment through wide ranging policies and practices”. The certification looks at Corporate Environment Management, Housekeeping, Conference Services, Food and Beverage Services and Engineering.
IACC Gold Tier
The International Association of Conference Centres (IACC) has classified The Centre in the Gold Tier of its code of sustainability.
Food & Beverage Greens
Our Food and Beverage team is always on the lookout for the latest and greatest in sustainable food.
Our Food and Beverage team grows its own herbs and greens with the Urban Cultivator. This machine acts like an indoor garden, cutting herb and micro-green costs by up to 90%. The machine at Banff Centre allows for 16 trays of micro-greens: wheatgrass, purple basil, pea shoots, spicy mix, mitzuna, crescents, mustard, radishes and kale to be cultivated at one time.
OceanWise™ Seafood is featured in Three Ravens Restaurant & Wine Bar, Le Café and MacLab Bistro, with a plan to expand to Vistas Dining Room and all conference menus.
Our kitchens use locally-sourced ingredients when available, many of which are organic. Our coffee is sourced from environmental and socially responsible growers. Bring your own mug to Le Café and MacLab Bistro for a discounted cup of coffee!
Our Food and Beverage team has an extensive diversion program, working closely with the Town of Banff composting program.
We believe that our efforts can only be successful when our community is engaged. Our local community includes our artists, guests, participants, staff and neighbors.
- All members of our community are invited to the Annual Environment and Safety sizzler, where local exhibitors show off their environmental and/or safety initiatives. Bring your own mug. BBQ and prizes included!
- Concerts in the Shaw Amphitheatre are set up with a form of Towards Zero Waste stations.
- Environment values of Banff Centre are presented to all new staff during their orientation.
- Environment committee members report to their departments on committee initiatives.
- All staff are encouraged to walk, bike, bus, or carpool to work.