Application and Registration FAQs

Applications and admissions

How do I apply for a program or residency?

Please complete an online application on the program page from Banff Centre’s website and then submit your support materials via SlideRoom. In order to submit your support materials, sign up or log in to an existing account in our online portal.

Are International applicants eligible to apply for programs?

Yes and no. Programs with a duration of over six months are limited to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only. However, if a program is less than six months anyone can apply, pending eligibility details as outlined on individual program webpages.

Please note, Banff Centre programs do not meet Canadian Student Visa eligibility requirements, you must obtain a Visitor Visa to enter Canada. Accepted individuals are responsible for identifying and complying with the immigration requirements to enter Canada as a visitor from their country of origin. Current wait times to receive a visa are much longer than normal, so applicants who require a Visitor Visa should check the current expected processing times prior to applying.

How do I know if my application has been received?

The Office of the Registrar will contact you if anything is missing from your application. If your application is complete you will not be contacted.

You can also check the status of yor application in the Student Portal. Application Under Review indicates that we have everything required and it is ready for review by the adjudication or funding review. 

When can I expect to hear about my results and how will they be delivered to me?

Banff Centre respects the need for artists to plan ahead for their visit; applicants will be notified as soon as adjudication is complete. Most programs have an adjudication turnaround of 6-10 weeks from the deadline date. However, this timeline is subject to change based on the number of applications received and the program's scheduled start date. The Office of the Registrar will inform you via email of the final decision. 

Can I apply to more than one program at a time? Do I have to complete the application form twice?

Yes. As adjudication is conducted by differing faculty or departments, we require separate applications for each program.

What is the application deadline (time)?

The application deadline time is always 11:59PM MST

What is the SlideRoom portal?

SlideRoom is an online portal that Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity uses to adjudicate applications. This is where you will upload all supporting material for your application. Click here to log in, or sign up for the first time.

What if my references do not meet the deadline in SlideRoom?

The reference grid will show you the status of your references and allow you to resend the request if you need to.

In order to edit your reference, click on the Edit link next to the reference that you wish to edit. You will then be able to edit any information that you input for the reference initially. If you change the email address, a new reference request will be emailed to your reference.

How old must I be to apply to a program?

Adjudication is not based on age; many decisions are based on artistic merit. However, the majority of our applicants are post-secondary and some programs do require applicants to be of a minimum age. Please check the Eligibility information on the webpage for any particular program to find out more about any specific applicant requirements.

Is Banff Centre a college-based institution? Can I receive University credit?

Banff Centre is a non-degree granting institution. Prior to attending programs here, participants seeking university credit should consult with their college or university to confirm whether Banff Centre programs will be accepted for credit. Banff Centre assumes no responsibility for such acceptance for credit. Students wishing a transfer should refer to the Alberta Transfer Guide, which lists all course and program transfer agreements between post-secondary institutions. Transfer information is available online at or by contacting:

Alberta Council on Admissions and Transfer
11th Floor, Commerce Place
10155 - 102 Street
Edmonton, AB
T5J 4L5

Phone: 780.422.9021 or 403.310.0000 (toll-free within Alberta)


How do I accept my place in a program?

Your program-specific Registrar will contact you via email and you will be directed to your Student Portal to review your acceptance documents and complete any forms/payments to secure your spot.

Do I have to pay a deposit to accept my spot in the program?

Yes, once accepted into a program, a confirmation fee is often part of your acceptance process to hold your place. Details regarding this requirement and how to pay are detailed in your Student Portal.

When is the final balance due?

Your final balance is due 45 days prior to the start date of your program. If you are offered a space from the waitlist or received late acceptance your payment is typically due right away, in which case details can be discussed with your Registrar.

Where and how do I pay these fees? What methods of payment do you accept?

Processing or registration fees are payable online through the Student Portal.

We accept Visa, MasterCard, AMEX, Discover Cards and cheques in Canadian currency. In person, we can accept cash as well as debit card payments.

Banff Centre reserves the right to cancel your acceptance if fees are not fully paid by the due date. Contact the Office of the Registrar if you are unable to meet the deadline. Banff Centre cannot issue a deferment on the basis of a grant/loan application. To meet the payment deadline for your program, you may have to arrange alternative financing. However, if you have payments pending from guaranteed loans or grants, with written evidence from the loaning or granting agency, you may request a deferment through the Office of the Registrar. 

What if I need to cancel my spot in a program?

Please contact your Registrar to cancel and discuss any potential cancellation charges or refunds (if applicable).

Participants in fixed-date programs are not eligible for an adjustment in program fees due to early departure, late arrival, or withdrawal from a program. Participants in flexible date programs (such as self-directed programs) may be eligible for an adjustment in program fees if they withdraw or change their dates of attendance; any adjustments will be made at the discretion of the programming area and the Banff Centre reserves the right to charge the relevant  cancellation fee in this case.  See Fees, Payments and Cancellations for details.

Participants withdrawing for compassionate reasons must speak directly with their programming area. Any adjustments or refunds will be made at the programming area's discretion. 

I have forgotten how to log in to my Student Portal

Go to Student Portal. Then enter your username and password.

Any issues please contac the Office of the Registrar 

I cannot log-in to my Portal

Ensure you remember to include the .  in your Username e.g Test.Username

Password is case senesitive

Try another browser: Google Chrome is the preferred browser

Still no luck contact the Office of the Registrar


Try using another device: phone/tablet/PC etc..

If you have weak Wi-Fi strength can you move to a better signal.

It is deadline day and the Office has closed / or I cannot get through

Please send an email to Please include your name, contact information and program you are trying to apply for. Someone will then be on contact with you in the morning to help you complete your application. If you have a SlideRoom requirement please proceed to this step and complete the requirements - you will not be able to submit but when we contact you in the morning you will be given a code to proceed to submission. As long as we have a timestamped email before 11.59PM MST you will not be penalised. 

Campus information

Where/How can I book a tour of the campus?

Feel free to visit public spaces around The Banff Centre and/or contact the Office of the Registrar 403 762 6180. Tours are limited to specific days and based on availability and available between 8.30am - 4.30pm MST Monday to Friday only.

What are the on-campus facilities available to participants and/or faculty?

All participants have access to the Paul D. Fleck Library & Archives, Sally Borden Fitness Centre, Vistas Dining Room, Three Ravens Restaurant & Wine Bar, Maclab Bistro and Le Café. In addition, all the arts disciplines have respective creative spaces available according to your program. Contact any arts department for more information or see our specific facilities pages:

What are my meal plan options on campus?

The program fee for most Residency and Workshop programs at Banff Centre includes a meal plan with access to our on-campus dining facilities, offering artists a range of meal options during their stay.


  • Light Meal Plan: this credit amount is equivalent to two meals (breakfast and lunch) in Vistas Dining Room.
  • Regular Meal Plan: this credit amount is equivalent to two meals (lunch and dinner) in Vistas Dining Room.
  • Full Meal Plan: this credit amount is equivalent to three meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) in Vistas Dining Room

Documents from the Office of the Registrar

Can someone write me a letter proving I applied to a program for a grant application?

Yes, please speak to the Registrar responsible for your program to request letter(s).

Where can I get a transcript/letter of attendance , and is there a cost?

Please contact the Office of the Registrar via telephone, email or in person to request a transcript. If you are requesting a transcript after you leave campus these will be emailed to you at no cost. If you require a mailed copy there is a $10 fee. The Transcript may take up to one week to create.

Can you provide any additional information with my Confirmation Package to assist with entry into Canada?

We will issue you a zero balance statement to provide proof of your attendance once all program fees have been paid for within the Office of the Registrar. Anything more specific must go through your Program Registrar. For general information about immigration, please see the immigration page for more information, or go to the Canadian Immigration website.

Where can I get a description of a Residency or Program I participated in?

You search for the program on Banff Centre’s website, or speak to our Archives Department

How to I obtain new a new T2202A or T4A?

I have forgotten how to log in to the Student Portal

Click here to go to the Student Portal and enter your username and password.  

How do I get a receipt of payment

Log in to your Student Portal l

Then go to Financial Information

Select the enrolment and then select the payment for which you would like a receipt 

Then click in the pop up box to print your receipt. 



Print Receipt


Personal Information

How do I change my email, address, telephone number or name in your systems?

Please contact our office by email or telephone to update any student or alumni database information.

What if I have dietary requirements or special needs?

Please list all requirements on your application or when confirming your place at Banff Centre. You can also contact our Participant Resources team regarding your dietary needs; please provide as much notice as possible.

What if I want to change rooms, or have issues with a roommate?

Please contact Participant Resources within their office hours to report any issues or request a room change.

Where do I get my ID from and what does this card do?

All participants will be issued a Banff Centre Identification Card (ID card) commonly referred to as your Artist Card. Keep this card with you at all times to access services, performances, lounges, dining rooms, library and the recreation facilities. Photographs for ID cards are taken at the recreation desk in the Sally Borden Building. If you lose your card you will be charged $5 to have the card reissued.