Signature Image Search
2024 Signature Image Search - Enter Now!
The annual signature image is used on marketing materials for Banff Centre Mountain Film and Book Festival which includes posters (both in Banff and in over 50 countries on the World Tour), banners, website (as well as World Tour host sites), and any marketing materials including brochures, programs, and our Festival/World Tour magazine.
Find out more about the 2023 image by Antoine Mesnage here.
- Open to professional photographers only!
- Photos can be taken from anywhere in the world.
- Photos have been ideally taken in the past 5 years. See "Image Elements: What are we looking for?" section below.
- The photographer also receives far-reaching exposure to their work, and the chosen image will be featured prominently on our website along with the winner's biography, plus the opportunity to attend screenings and events at the Festival.
- We offer a payment of $3000 (CAD) for the selected image.
- ENTRY DEADLINE: March 4, 2024
- We will contact the finalists by mid-April, 2024 (approx. 4-5 top finalists) prior to make sure a final high res copy is available should they be selected.
Read technical requirements first before you enter below.
Technical Requirements + Enter Now
Please read through the image elements below to find out what we are looking for.
- Submissions by professional photographers only.
- Submit the online form with your contact information and a link to a custom gallery or We Transfer link prepared specifically for the Film Festival.
- Please submit a maximum of 30 images. (Ideally your top 10!)
- If you only have a few awesome ones that you think are best, then just send those.
We must be able to download the images for our team to review them.
Please do not include an expiry date for downloads. (Minimum 1 week expiry if necessary.)
JPG files only.
File size for initial entry:
Between 1 MB (minimum) – 3 MB (maximum) per image.
Final file size:
If selected, you will be asked for higher resolution images in April.
The photographer of the chosen/winning image will be asked to provide a high-resolution RAW or TIFF file.
The image needs to be used in large formats sizes such as tall banners, 11 x 17 posters and larger, therefore the final image will need to be these approximate sizes:
Vertical – 300 dpi at 18 inches x 24 inches or larger
Horizontal – 300 dpi at 24 inches x 18 inches or larger
Please contact Nicky_Lynch@banffcentre.ca if you have any questions.
Image Elements: What we are looking for?
The image can be taken from anywhere in the world, as long as it's mountain-themed.
Ideally the photo has ideally been taken in the last 3-5 years.
Theme: The signature image reflects our mountain-themed Festival.
Concept: We look for an image that evokes passion and energy, has a dynamic and enticing landscape and/or features a mountain activity.
Orientation: The image must work well both vertically and horizontally. Most of our marketing materials are vertical (posters, banners, postcards, ads, etc.), but for web and video production, a horizontal orientation is preferred. Many of our winners have been horizontal originals that crop well vertically for marketing materials.
Clean: We incorporate the placement of numerous sponsor logos, so we are looking for images where these can be easily incorporated.
Exposure: Ideally, we would like an image that hasn’t already appeared in a national ad campaign or featured on a cover of a major magazine. However, if your image has already been used in other major publications/campaigns, please let us know just so we know it's history and previous use. That would be appreciated, many thanks in advance.
Free of commercial elements: We want an image without prominent commercial elements such as clearly visible logos.
The image will be used by Festival and World Tour hosts and partners who are third parties connected to the Festival and may be used on items such as shirts, merchandise, banners etc.